Having a baby means I don’t get to create and make art like I used to, at least not as much as I want, but I find I’m creating in different ways. In particular, musical ways. There are lot I sing to her every day, songs that fit into different kinds of categories.
1. Songs as they are. These are Nancy Sinatra and Ani DiFranco songs, which are awesome in their own right and don’t need to be changed.
2. Commonly known songs with unique lyrics. For example, I took “Row Your Boat” and changed it to a song about loving her. It’s my favorite to sing; she often coos when I do so I think she likes it too.
3. Nonsense songs. After a bath, I sing to her, “And that was that. And that was that. And that was that that that that that that that.” Repeat. She hates a bath, so I mostly want to let her know the torture is over.
4. Christian songs and spirituals that I knew in childhood such as “Amazing Grace,” “He’s Got the Whole World In His Hands,” “God is so Good.”
5. Educational songs. Kind of like “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes,” but with a melody I made up and references different body parts like feet and cheeks.
Do you like to sing? I love it, even on my bad days. What kinds of things do you sing?