Wee One is a toddler. So truly a toddler, and it’s only going to get more toddler-y as she goes. I’m more afraid of this phase than any other, I think. I’m afraid I’ll lose my patience or my way, that we’ll lose our bond or connection, and that we will start a lifetime of not liking each other. I wanted to keep positive details about toddler in my mind. To this end, I googled, “in praise of toddlers,” and sadly, didn’t find much.
So I’m writing something.
I found a few lists from individuals explaining what they liked about toddlers, and these are things either WO does already, or I’m looking forward to her doing:
- The joy they get from small things
- The way the butcher the English language
- They have no filter, so the way they talk is the way they think. Source
- They live in the moment,
- They try so very hard. Nothing is stupid yet. They are not self-conscious. Just adorable.
- Their wants are so simple. (This one I love. I love that I can still pick her up and rock her all is well, or I can nurse her and she’s basically set back to her normal self.
- You (mommy/daddy/major caregiver) are pretty much a superhero. Source
- So much learning.
- Developing personalities
- Non-stop chatter or, at least right now, just hearing her talk and seeing her gesticulate
- Dance parties
- Going to the park/outside. She runs with her little hands in the air and screeches with excitement about everything.
- For my cautious girl, watching her open up and try new things. (Source)
Then I’m going to add my own reasons:
- WO is loving, snuggly, and smiley. And she loves me, so much.
- I love watching her little face as she’s studying something.
- I love toddler kisses! And I love watching her play with my hair!
- I love when she instigates games with me, like hide and seek or bite the elbow.
- She gets so excited when I understand her sign language or her gestures.
And these are only some of them. What reasons do you love toddlers?
One thought on “In Praise of Toddlers”
I view them as a grandparent, but, the fact that anything they think is funny continues to be funny no matter how many times it is repeated is cool.